Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thank goodness for messaging!

OK, so I was out for my run today, just enjoying the beautiful sunshine and the ability to actually be out running, when I saw on the corner ahead of me a huge German Shepherd. I was a bit nervous as I looked at him and wondered what to do. I decided to go to the far side of the road and hope that I wasn't going to attract his attention. As I got closer and hoped the stars were aligned properly for my lucky day I noticed him stop to check his messages! You see, there was a fire hydrant right there and he must not have checked his messages for a few days because there was enough sniffing going on there to let me pass by completely unnoticed! I was grateful for his instant message abilities!

Last week Tom was out running in Provo along one of his regular work routes when a big old Rotwieler, (I have no idea how to spell that!), came right up to him. He said it was quite a shock and he wasn't all too happy with the owner who he took it out on. Too bad that dog didn't have a message or two to check as Tom ran by!

Dogs....and I have a little rat dog that likes to take any teeny tiny opportunity to escape our house or backyard! I know he has threatened a few people on his escapes. I'm so sorry! Back a few years ago when I was needing something little to nurture, I should have just had a baby instead of getting a cute little puppy!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, Rui is just fine! Those little ones have to protect themselves somehow :)

German Shepherds give me the jeebies too. I went to visit a friend in Canada years ago before I married, when I arrived at her house I discovered she had a big ole' German Shepherd.
"Oh, she is nice, she won't bite" they told me as I slowly reached my hand out (palm down) to say hello. As she tried to take a big bite out of my hand, I learned that one person's interpretation of nice can be different from anothers.

Lilly and I were attacked once on a walk by a big ole' Boxer. He knocked me to my behind while Lilly ran from my grip and hid (thankfully) under a trailer (not before a lot of yelping) parked on the side of the road. Fortunately, the dog lost interest in us and walked away, but since then when I go for a walk on my 'non-usual' routes, I take protection, such as an aerosol spray bottle, go for the eyes I was told.

Seriously folks, keep your big ole dogs where they belong, on a leash.