Sunday, May 31, 2009

Buckle up!

Friday was the last day of school here in Spanish Fork. Jansen was out walking with a friend when they saw another friend driving by. The kid picked them up to take them up the road a ways. Then they spotted a couple of girls who needed a ride to Barry's so they picked them up too. Unfortunately, in front of Barry's, they ran into the back of a car in front of them. It was just an accident with no playing around.
Seat belts had been talked about in the car, but they were not being used. Jansen was in the back seat behind the passenger. He doesn't remember anything about the whole ordeal but here's what others have said.
Everyone got out of the car but looked and saw that Jansen was in the car limp and not moving. They opened the door and pulled him to the ground with his feet still in the car. They said he was shaking uncontrolably and not talking or focusing on them. The ambulance came and took him to Mt.View Hospital in Payson. The police called me as they were loading him in the ambulance and told me to meet them at the hospital. I had just gotten off the phone with Tom who had to make an emergency trip to Dallas. He had just reported that his plane had landed and all was well.
I got to the hospital about a minute before the ambulance. It's not fun to see them pulling the stretcher out and know that it is your kid they are bringing in.
It was good to see him and talk to him and know that he was responsive. He was asking where he was and what time it was quite often, but the doctor said that was to be expected.
They took him in for a CAT scan and Xrays. They both came back with possitive results so they started to pay attention to the gash in the back of his head.
I didn't know there was such a thick layer of meat before you hit the skull! It was split right open! The doctor stitched him up and had him get up slowly and walk around before he released him.
I was very happy with the doctor and the nurses and the ambulance people! It made me so grateful to all of the people who are there to help in such situations!
We are grateful that Jansen and his friends are all OK.
Lesson learned......even if you are going a few blocks.....BUCKLE UP!

2 comments:

5littlenordstroms said...

Wow! I had no idea. I hope all is well now and congrats on having 2 high school graduates. I'll give you a call next week when I am back in town. I really need to start running again and I just know that I won't do it without a little support and a good running buddy.

Amy said...

Glad Jansen is doing okay.

I think the fringe benefit of all that attention from the young ladies may help him feel a bit less sad about being benched from the bike for a while!