Tom told me he would do one "novelty" race a year with me. Today we did the Dirty Dash 10K in Midway. Here we are in all our glory.




Tani was here when we got ready and was so proud of her parents that she wanted to be sure to be in a few pics with us.

It was fun when we got there....several people asked if they could have their pictures taken with us. I guess we were a little bit famous for just a few hours. I also think we were about the oldest ones to participate in this race.

And now the "after" pictures! This race started out running up a hill of mud and into a firehose. We then continued up and more up and around and more up and around and into the snow making machines. It felt very good to get hit with the snow makers since the temps were 80 degrees at the starting line. But the closer you get to those machines the more powerful they are...holy cow!

After the snow machines we had several of the big bails of hay we had to go over. Then more up and around. Then came the muddy walls. We had to go over walls with mud on both sides. I think there were three different walls. There were a few tubes we had to go through and some tire drills. Then there was the 'mystery obstacle'......Gunk, mire, mud, muck, thick, gross, smelly, yuck! It's good we had our shoes tied tightly or we would have lost them. I'm sure there were lots of shoes and other odds and ends we don't want to know about in there.

After the mystery we still had some around but mostly down and flat until the last little bit. We had to go up again to get to the top of the big ole' slip and slide. At the top they told us to 'superman' down. We each started but it doesn't keep you going good enough, so Tom pushed his way down. I decied to stand and run for a minute and then ended up sitting for the last bit. Not a good idea...at the bottom was a big drop off that landed me right on my tailbone! OUCH! I needed Tom and the camera man to help me up there. Hopefully that isn't going to give me much grief this week since we have the marathon next week!

The final obstacle was a huge mud pit that you had to crawl through. You had to go under about six sets of flags and then........the finish!

They provided a bunch of very cold showers that took off three or four layers of the mud and gunk....but the 3 showers back at home had to finish the job.

Kind of a crazy but fun run. It was definitely not an easy 6.2. I'm not sure how long it took us. We all had timing chips but I'm not sure if they will list it on the internet or not.
Everyone who likes to try something a little crazy should try this kind of race at least once.
2 comments:
It looks like it was super fun! I am so glad to see an updated post on here! Way to go & good luck in St.George. I wish I could be there to cheer you on!! My cousin is running in St. George also! Anyhow have fun!
Hey Kim! You are an awesome woman! I wish I had your energy! I know a couple of other people who did the dirty dash as well. Looks like you had a great time!
Post a Comment